If you’re involved in any sort of accident in Texas, you’ll probably suffer some sort of physical injury. Thankfully, most accidents, including car accidents, don’t cause very serious injuries. For example, if you’re involved in a rear-end accident, unless the cars were going fast at the time of impact, your injuries should be minimal. The same is true in most slip and falls. If you fall in a grocery store, you may suffer a back injury or a broken bone. These types of injuries typically resolve themselves in a few weeks or month. You may need surgery or physical therapy. But, eventually, you’ll be back to normal and returning to work.
There are some injuries, however, that can impact you for the rest of your life. One of these is a traumatic brain injury. This happens when you suffer a severe blow to the head. This can certainly happen in a car accident. However, there are other ways that people suffer this type of injury. Regardless of the type of accident, a traumatic brain injury (TBI) can be a very serious injury. It can also go undetected. That’s why we always tell accident victims that they need to go to the hospital immediately after any sort of accident. If you display the signs and symptoms of a TBI, the emergency room doctors can run tests to see if you did indeed suffer a brain injury.
Here, we’ll talk about the signs and symptoms of a TBI. We’ll also discuss some of the ways a TBI can impact your life. If you have been involved in any sort of accident, you need to contact an experienced injury attorney in Texas.
What Sort of Accidents Typically Cause a Traumatic Brain Injury?
While car accidents may be the most common type of accident, they aren’t always the worst. If someone is working in construction and fall from a great height, they’ll suffer near fatal injuries. The same can be true for a premises’ liability accident. If a roof collapses on someone or they’re hit with a piece of equipment, they can also suffer life-threatening injuries.
Some of the most common ways people suffer a traumatic brain injury include the following:
- Motorcycle and truck accidents – These types of motor vehicle accidents are specifically known to cause TBIs. That is because of the vulnerability of the victim. A motorcycle rider has nothing to protect them other than a plastic helmet. And passengers in a tractor trailer accident are at a serious size disadvantage.
- Construction accidents – When someone works in construction, they’re working with heavy and dangerous equipment. They’re also working from large heights a majority of the time. If they fall or get hit with a piece of equipment, there’s a good chance they’ll suffer a TBI.
- Bicycle and Pedestrian accidents – If someone is hit by a car while on foot or on their bike, they are at risk of suffering a TBI. This is because their head is subjected to such a severe impact.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of a TBI?
Some people don’t go to the hospital after their accident because they don’t think they’re hurt. However, with a TBI, you may not realize you’re hurt at all. Some of the symptoms don’t show up until a few hours or even days after the accident. Some of these signs and symptoms include the following:
- Memory loss
- Loss of vision
- Ringing in the ears
- Inability to concentrate
If you experience any of these things, you need to get to the hospital right away. Left untreated, TBIs can be dangerous or even fatal.
A TBI Can Cause Long-Term Problems
When someone suffers a TBI, there’s a good chance they’ll suffer long-term impacts. Some of the things that can happen with a TBI include:
- Long-term memory loss
- Permanent Disability – You may not be able to work ever again. You could end up on permanent disability which will severely limit the amount of income you can earn for the rest of your life.
- Mental Anguish – If you’re dealing with things like memory loss, irritability and insomnia, it can affect your quality of life.
Your Texas accident attorney will fight to make sure you’re fairly compensated for this.
Contact an Experienced Injury Lawyer in Texas Right Away
If you’re in any sort of accident, you should call our office. Talk to one of our experienced injury lawyers and let the review your case. You can schedule your free initial consultation right away. If you can’t make it into the office, we can even arrange to do the consultation over the telephone.